Re: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark

From: Rene Scharfe
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 12:15:42 EST

Bill Davidsen schrieb:
> On the theory that my first post got lost, why use /usr/bin/env at
> all, when bash already does that substitution? To support people who
> use other shells?
>
> ie.: FOO=xx perl -e '$a=$ENV{FOO}; print "$a\n"'

/usr/bin/env is used in scripts in the shebang line (the very first line
of the script, starting with "#!", which denotes the interpreter to use
for that script) to make a PATH search for the real interpreter.
Some folks keep their python (or Perl, or Bash etc.) in /usr/local/bin
or in $HOME, that's why this construct is needed at all.

Changing environment variables is not the goal, insofar this usage
exploits only a side-effect of env. It is portable in practice because
env is in /usr/bin on most modern systems.

So you could replace this first line of a bash script:

#!/usr/bin/env python

with this:

#!python

except that the latter doesn't work because you need to specify an
absolute path there. :]

Rene