Re: ACPI sleep states on Tyan Thunder K8W S2885

From: Kyle Rose
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 09:19:17 EST

> S5 wake devices can be a very fuzzy area. In general, the ACPI spec
> recommends that wake capabilities are enabled before halting the system.
> Therefore, your network card driver may need to specifically handle this.

I'll check into that.

> For starters, we should probably look at "lspci -vv". I'm assuming your
> network card is PCI. This will allow us to see if it's capable of waking
> from D3-cold, the state it will most likely be in during S5.

I'll have to do this tonight. I can't start the machine remotely. :)

> I would also check your BIOS configuration and see if it's possible to
> specifically enable wake-on-lan. Let me know if this helps.

It only has an option for "wake on PME," which I've activated. Again,
as I've said, shutting down from Win XP allows WOL, so the difference is
between how Linux and Windows handle the GigE device or handle shutdown.

> Finally, what kernel version are you using?

Sorry, I should have given more details. It's Linux-2.6.11.7 with no
other patches. I think the earliest I tested this was with 2.6.9, and
it didn't work there either.

Thanks,
Kyle