Re: 2.6.12-rc3-mm2 - kswapd0 keeps running

From: Mark McPherson
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 23:53:19 EST

Hi,

I have noticed since well back in the 2.6.11-mmX series that top always
reports the load average as 1.00 unless and until I kill apcupsd [an APC
ups daemon]. If I do that the load average swiftly drops to 0.00 when
the computer is idle. Thought it was likely an application issue but
perhaps it is related so maybe I had better mention it.

I'm pretty sure the 2.6.12-rcX Linus tree does the same thing, while
vanilla 2.6.11 and the -ac tree don't display this behavior.

apcupsd doesn't seem to actually use excessive resources -- CPU or
memory -- even if I let it run for a long time, and the CPU temperature
remains at the correct idle value when idle [even though the load
average is reported as 1.00].

I don't see corresponding behavior with kswapiod here after a day of
uptime with 2.6.12-rc3-mm2.

Cheers,
Mark
--