Re: [x86_64] how worried should I be about MCEs?

From: bert hubert
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 15:51:57 EST

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 01:16:49PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> Every now and then, after rebooting, the kernel notices some MCEs.
> Should I be worried about this?

If these reports are true, they would be worrying. But I find them a bit
hard to believe - the bit combinations don't appear to make sense.

I have an AMD64 machine which logs 'MCE reported' every once in a while but
otherwise functions perfectly and I haven't yet coaxed it into telling me
the content of the errors.

Might there be a bug here? How did you create this log?

> STATUS f66440000000438d MCGSTATUS 0
> MCE 1
> CPU 0 1 instruction cache from boot or resume
> ADDR 75e2bb87ec57f8e0
> Instruction cache ECC error
> bit32 = err cpu0
> bit33 = err cpu1
> bit35 = res3
> bit43 = res11
> bit45 = uncorrected ecc error
> bit46 = corrected ecc error
> bit55 = res23
> bit56 = res24
> bit57 = processor context corrupt
> bit59 = misc error valid
> bit61 = error uncorrected
> bit62 = error overflow (multiple errors)

This would be one hell of an error - both corrected and uncorrected.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software