Re: ftp server crashes on heavy load: possible scheduler bug

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 11:07:41 EST

Pedro Venda (SYSADM) wrote:
On Friday 29 April 2005 13:08, Andrew Morton wrote:

"Pedro Venda (SYSADM)" <pjvenda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We've made some changes on our ftp server, and since that it's been
crashing frequently (everyday) with a kernel panic.

[...]
The netconsole log was surprising - "kernel BUG at kernel/sched.c:2634!"

Strange. It'd be interesting to try disabling CONFIG_4KSTACKS. Also,
please add this to get a bit more info.

hi,

I'll try that. Should I do it with or without preemption?

The CONFIG_4KSTACKS is a more likely suspect than the preemption, actually.

When I read the post from Andrew I remembered some discussion about this and reiserfs, and searched my archives for it:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108680778325490&w=2

I would start with turning them both off to have a stable working system.

If after that you feel that your life is too boring and you want to live dangerously, you might try with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y. If you really want the full adrenaline rush, then go wild with CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y too :)

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)