Re: Linux kernel TI TLAN driver

From: Torben Mathiasen
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 12:24:04 EST

On Mon, Apr 25 2005, Ganesh Venkatesan wrote:
> In general, just adding the device id to a driver in order to enable
> it for a new device is not sufficient. They may (in most cases, will)
> be additional logic that is needed in the driver to correctly enable
> the new device. If this is the case, I'd expect the patched driver to
> fail on open even with the 2.6 kernel.

Absolutely, but the TLAN parts are usually quite alike. Even when the EISA
support was added, only the probing was changed to accomodate those cards.

I remember trying the TLAN's on an alpha a few years ago, and IIRC the 64bit
support was lacking badly. I know some of this has been changed in the 2.6
version of the driver, but it may not work very well since so few people use
this combination.

Thanks,
Torben