Re: [2.6 patch] unexport is_console_locked

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 04:56:39 EST

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 10:51:30AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Yes, I do. Please, keep it exported. On that note, I don't understand
> that frenzy of unexporting everything you can, I find this useless
> burden in general.

If we ever want to a have a semi-stable driver API (1) we need to stop
exporting random symbols and move towards APIs that make sense and
operate at the right level instead of poking into implementation details.
Note that even without that goal only having the right primitives avaiable
to drivers makes sure they use the right tool instead of copy & pasting
random crap.

(1) that is changing only when we have a real need instead of all the time.