Re: 2.6.12-rc2-mm3

From: Juergen Kreileder
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 22:25:31 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 03:59 +0200, Juergen Kreileder wrote:
>
>> I'm might be the only one using evdev on ppc64.
>>
>> And I don't know how popular LVM2 is on disks with Macintosh
>> labels. I had to set it up manually when I installed the machine,
>> Debian's installer couldn't handle it at that time.
>>
>> Workload is normal, the lockups happen with just X and Azaereus.
>> (The machine also runs mysqld, apache, and a few other daemons.
>> But I don't have to put load on these to make the machine lock up.)
>
> If you make sure you have CONFIG_XMON enabled and CONFIG_BOOTX_TEXT,
> and make sure X has "UseFBDev" option, do you drop into xmon before
> the lockup ?

I'll check that.

> Also, do you have another machine at hand ? if yes, then we can try
> to revive my old firewire based debug tools we used to track things
> down in linus tree.

I'd have to organize a firewire cable for that first.

> I'll have a look at the timer patch next week, they might have some
> subtle race caused by a lack of memory barrier. I've had to debug
> some of those in early timer code, and those are really nasty, they
> usually only trigger under some subtle conditions, like ... heavy
> networking.

I wouldn't call it "heavy" in my case. Azareus uses quite a few
sockets but that isn't that uncommon and external traffic is limited
by a ADSL connection.

Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://blog.blackdown.de/