Re: Git-commits mailing list feed.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 18:29:21 EST

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Jan Harkes wrote:

> I respectfully disagree,
>
> rsync works fine for now, but people are already looking at implementing
> smarter (more efficient) ways to synchronize git repositories by
> grabbing missing commits, and from there fetching any missing tree and
> file blobs.

Bit this is a _feature_.

Other people normally shouldn't be interested in your tags. I think it's a
mistake to make everybody care.

So you normally would fetch only tags you _know_ about. For example, one
of the reasons we've been _avoiding_ personal tags in teh BK trees is that
it just gets really ugly really quickly because they get percolated up to
everybody else. That means that in a BK tree, you can't sanely use tags
for "private" stuff, like telling somebody else "please sync with this
tag".

So having the tag in the object database means that fsck etc will notice
these things, and can build up a list of tags you know about. It also
means that you can have tag-aware synchronization tools, ie exactly the
kind of tools that only grab missing commits can also then be used to
select missing tags according to some _private_ understanding of what tags
you might want to find..

Linus