Re: Git-commits mailing list feed.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 15:17:04 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
That was my plan, at least. But I haven't set up any signature generation
thing, and this really isn't my area of expertise any more. But my _plan_ literally was to have the tag object look a lot like a commit object, but instead of pointing to the tree and the commit parents, it would point to the commit you are tagging. Somehting like

commit a2755a80f40e5794ddc20e00f781af9d6320fafb
tag v2.6.12-rc3
signer Linus Torvalds

This is my official original 2.6.12-rc2 release

with a few fixed headers and then a place for free-form commentary,

groovy

If somebody writes a script to generate the above kind of thing (and tells me how to validate it), I'll do the rest, and start tagging things properly. Oh, and make sure the above sounds sane (ie if somebody has a better idea for how to more easily identify how to find the public key to check against, please speak up).

[tangent]

Any chance you'll have a tree tagged with older releases?
Is someone with access to BK working on that?

I do a lot of patch merges where someone sends me a 2.6.10 patch. Presuming the fix is still valid, I'll clone to 2.6.10, merge the patch, pull 2.6.latest into the 2.6.10-based repo, then push the whole she-bang into one of my for-upstream repos.

Jeff