Re: Git-commits mailing list feed.

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 15:00:21 EST

LT> Guys, I will say this once more: git will not look at the signature.

LT> And that is why I from the very beginning tried to make ti very clear that
LT> the signature goes at the end. Not at the beginning, not in the middle,
LT> and not in a different file. IT GOES AT THE END.

If that is the case, can't you do it without introducing this
new tag object, like this?

1. Find existing commit-id that you want to tag.
2. Sign that commit object:

cat-file commit $commit |
gpg --detach-sign --armor -u 'Linus Torvalds' >commit.sig

3. Make another commit, making the original commit as its parent:

{
echo tag This is my tag.
cat commit.sig
} | commit-tree $(cat-file commit $commit |
sed -e 's/tree //;d') -p $commit

Then you can publish the ID of this commit object, which attests
that the original commit is what you vouch for. Am I missing
something?