Re: Git-commits mailing list feed.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 14:38:00 EST

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Sean wrote:

> A script that knows how to validate signed tags, can easly strip off all
> the signing overhead for display. Users of scripts that don't understand
> will see the cruft, but at least it will still be usable.

NO.

Guys, I will say this once more: git will not look at the signature.

That means that we don't "strip them off", because dammit, they DO NOT
EXIST as far as git is concerned. This is why a tag-file will _always_
start with

commit <commit-sha1>
tag <tag-name>

because that way we can use fsck and validate reachability and have things
that want trees (or commits) take tag-files instead, and git will
automatically look up the associated tree/commit. And it will do so
_without_ having to understand about signing, since signing is for trust
between _people_ not for git.

And that is why I from the very beginning tried to make ti very clear that
the signature goes at the end. Not at the beginning, not in the middle,
and not in a different file. IT GOES AT THE END.

Linus