Re: Why Ext2/3 needs immutable attribute?

From: DervishD
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 14:13:19 EST

Hi Kyle :)

* Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@xxxxxxx> dixit:
> >another usage: if you "chattr +i /var" while /var is unmounted,
> >then root is unlikely to accidentally create files/dirs in /var --
> >and when you mount the real /var on top it works fine. i tend to
> >protect all my mount points this way (especially those in /mnt) to
> >avoid my own dumb mistakes.
> If you chmod 000 /var beforehand (While it's still unmounted, of
> course), then it's also blindingly obvious that it's not mounted in
> an ls -l :-D. I too have used this trick on many/most of my
> systems.

I was doing exactly that, but it has its drawbacks: root still
can create files by accident. I've been hit by this a couple of
times :( For example, as root, I issue the mount command with a typo,
and before I can read the result of the command I've already typed a
'cp' or 'mv' command, 'sync' and 'umount'. Yes, I know, I should read
carefully what I type as root and the result of the commands, and I
do except when issuing harmless commands as 'cp' O:))) My fault, yes,
but it can be solved easily with the trick provided by Dean ;)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/