Re: Git-commits mailing list feed.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 12:31:37 EST

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Nah, asking Linus to tag his releases is the most comfortable way.
>
> mkdir .git/tags
> echo 1da177e4c3f41524e886b7f1b8a0c1fc7321cac2 > .git/tags/2.6.12-rc2
> echo a2755a80f40e5794ddc20e00f781af9d6320fafb > .git/tags/2.6.12-rc3

The reason I've not done tags yet is that I haven't decided how to do
them.

The git-pasky "just remember the tag name" approach certainly works, but I
was literally thinking o fsetting up some signing system, so that a tag
doesn't just say "commit 1da177e4c3f41524e886b7f1b8a0c1fc7321cac2 is
v2.6.12-rc2", but it would actually give stronger guarantees, ie it would
say "Linus says that commit 1da177e4c3f41524e886b7f1b8a0c1fc7321cac2 is
his 2.6.12-rc2 release".

That's something fundamentally more powerful, and it's also something that
I actually can integrate better into git.

In other words, I actually want to create "tag objects", the same way we
have "commit objects". A tag object points to a commit object, but in
addition it contains the tag name _and_ the digital signature of whoever
created the tag.

Then you just distribute these tag objects along with all the other
objects, and fsck-cache can pick them up even without any other knowledge,
but normally you'd actually point to them some other way too, ie you could
have the ".git/tags/xxx" files have the pointers, but now they are
_validated_ pointers.

That was my plan, at least. But I haven't set up any signature generation
thing, and this really isn't my area of expertise any more. But my _plan_
literally was to have the tag object look a lot like a commit object, but
instead of pointing to the tree and the commit parents, it would point to
the commit you are tagging. Somehting like

commit a2755a80f40e5794ddc20e00f781af9d6320fafb
tag v2.6.12-rc3
signer Linus Torvalds

This is my official original 2.6.12-rc2 release

with a few fixed headers and then a place for free-form commentary,
everything signed by the key (and then it ends up being encapsulated as an
object with the object type "tag", and SHA1-csummed and compressed, ie it
ends up being just another object as far as git is concerned, but now it's
an object that tells you about _trust_)

(The "signer" field is just a way to easily figure out which public key to
check the signature against, so that you don't have to try them all. Or
something. My point being that I know what I want, but because I normally
don't actually ever _use_ PGP etc, I don't know the scripts to create
these, so I've been punting on it all).

If somebody writes a script to generate the above kind of thing (and tells
me how to validate it), I'll do the rest, and start tagging things
properly. Oh, and make sure the above sounds sane (ie if somebody has a
better idea for how to more easily identify how to find the public key to
check against, please speak up).

Linus