2.6 kernel, 2.4 kernel, keyboard input handling

From: Graham Seale
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 17:35:15 EST

Hello kernel developers

Please forgive this format, which cannot conform to your standard bug reporting system because of its hardware sensitive nature. It cannot allow a developer exact replication of the problem circumstance. I do not have close knowledge nor expertise with source codes and scripts involved. I can only report what I have now clearly perceived and verified, in the only way I know how. My experience of Linux is limited to trying out several distributions, and opting for a Stage1 compiled Gentoo, which now works.

For my examples, I refer specifically to..
kernel "linux-2.4.30/drivers/input/*" as mostly functional version.
Kernel "linux-2.6.11.7/drivers/input/*" as the version with problems.

Essentially, there is a fundamental difference in the way the 2.4 kernel manages keyboard and mouse inputs as compared to the 2.6 kernel which makes the system intolerant of temporary absence of expected inputs as occurs when KVM (thats Keyboard Mouse Video) hardware switchers are used. With the 2.6 kernel, there are many examples of mouse and keyboard problems that are cannot be always blamed on brand-specific hardware nonconformities.

The problems I describe occur with ALL distributions I have tried, when installed in hardware Pentium P3 (Coppermine) processor on ABIT VT6X4 motherboard with 439.9Mb memory. I am soon to try it with AMD Athlon on ASUS AN78X .

This knowledge has been hard won! There can hardly be a less efficient way to begin to perceive that a problem is kernel-related than by doing Gentoo installs only to find the keyboard is suddenly useless on that PC when the switcher hardware is perfectly OK when switching between other Windows and Linux system computers.

I now have verified that ALL distributions I have tried, featuring the 2.6 kernel are incapable of robust and flexible response to such switchers.
Please note that modern KVM switchers are built to artificially simulate the presence of a keyboard on the non-selected PC input because before XP, Windows computers were unable to tolerate keyboard disconnection.

The loss of keyboard function is independent of the environment, whether using GUI applications (various) or command line only.

The response of the 2.4 kernel is much more able to re-establish keyboard polling sync. Generally, as the Linux GUI is restored, there are random input states that might bring up the menu (unasked), and this will go away after one or two mouse clicks on the screen. If a "freeze" does happen, it may be cleared by switching away, then back to the Linux PC.

I understand that the system is pre-emptive multitasking, with a "user" space, a deeper "kernel" space, all policing access to real hardware instructions, and that the timeslice priorities are dynamically reworked by a special algorithm. I would not presume to delve into these without much more reading on my part. I would request that you help to bring my concern to the attention of those who created this code.

In my situation, as the 2.6 kernel becomes more widely adopted, so am I locked out from using and learning on the Linux PCs which have to share hardware with Windows users. It seems a pity that in this respect, the 2.6 kernel cannot do what the 2.4 kernel could adequately manage.

Thank you for listening.
My regards
Graham Seale
graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (offline 01:00 to 08:00 UTC)