Re: Linux 2.6.12-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 18:32:03 EST

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Is there way to say "git diff -r origin:" but dump it patch-by-patch
> with some usable headers?

In my git version there is a command called "git-export" for exactly this.
I don't know if Pasky included that in his trees, but if not, you can just
get my git tree (which should be compatible with Pasky's scripts, but mine
just has the "core" stuff).

Using "git-export" you can export your whole git tree if you want to, but
more commonly you'd say

git-export $(cat .git/HEAD) $(cat .git/BASE)

where you'd have saved the previous head that you exported in the BASE
thing (or, if you pull my tree, and want to export your changes back to
me, you'd initialize BASE to the original HEAD in my tree).

The output format of "git-export" is not the prettiest in the world, but
I've never actually _used_ that command, I just wrote it as a
demonstration thing.

Linus