Re: ia64 git pull

From: tony . luck
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 18:03:29 EST

> It's mainly a clue to bad practice, in my opinion. I personally like the
> "one repository, one head" approach, and if you want multiple heads you
> just do multiple repositories (and you can then mix just the object
> database - set your SHA1_FILE_DIRECTORY environment variable to point to
> the shared object database, and you're good to go).

Maybe I just have a terminology problem?

I want to have one "shared objects database" which I keep locally and
mirror publicly at kernel.org/pub/scm/...

I will have several "repositories" locally for various grades of patches,
each of which use SHA1_FILE_DIRECTORY to point to my single repository.
So I never have to worry about getting all the git commands to switch
context ... I just use "cd ../testing", and "cd ../release".

But now I need a way to indicate to consumers of the public shared object
data base which HEAD to use.

Perhaps I should just say "merge 821376bf15e692941f9235f13a14987009fd0b10
from rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git"?

That works for interacting with you, because you only pull from me when
I tell you there is something there to pull.

But Andrew had a cron job or somthing to keep polling every day. So he
needs to see what the HEAD is.

Does this make sense ... or am I still missing the point?

-Tony