Mercurial distributed SCM v0.2

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 12:19:17 EST

This is my continuing attempt to make an SCM suitable for kernel
hacking. It supports a distribution model similar to BK and Monotone
but is orders of magnitude simpler than both (about 1k lines of code).

http://selenic.com/mercurial/

New in this version:

- much improved command line tool
- installation instructions
- commit log editing
- experimental network pull support

Some example usage:

Setting up a Mercurial project:

$ cd linux/
$ hg init # creates .hg
$ hg status # show differences between repo and working dir
$ hg addremove # add all unknown files and remove all missing files
$ hg commit # commit all changes, edit changelog entry

Mercurial commands:

$ hg history # show changesets
$ hg log Makefile # show commits per file
$ hg checkout # check out the tip revision
$ hg checkout <hash> # check out a specified changeset
$ hg add foo # add a new file for the next commit
$ hg remove bar # mark a file as removed

Branching and merging:

$ cd ..
$ cp -al linux linux-work # create a new hardlink branch
$ cd linux-work
$ <make changes>
$ hg commit
$ cd ../linux
$ hg merge ../linux-work # pull changesets from linux-work

Network support (highly experimental):

# export your .hg directory as a directory on your webserver
foo$ ln -s .hg ~/public_html/hg-linux

# merge changes from a remote machine
bar$ hg merge http://foo/~user/hg-linux

This is just a proof of concept of grabbing byte ranges, and is not
expected to perform well yet.