writev to scsi disks

From: Dheeraj Pandey
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 10:03:16 EST

I was wondering if I did a simple writev to a SCSI disk, does it take
the sg path to the device? I am guessing sg (REQ_SPECIAL) is only
true for character devices (and ioctl's) and not block devices.

These are my questions:
- Is sg a common feature among SCSI disks these days? How do I know
what disks support this feature (any capabilities published by the driver)?
- How does one make writev work for SCSI disk (as a block device)
in direct_io?
- If I use SCSI disks as character device, can I simply use writev on the
character device file, and will sg codepath be taken?