Re: GPL violation by CorAccess?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 07:51:45 EST

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 09:30 +0200, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

> As long as they do not statically link against LGPL (or GPL) code and as
> long as they do not link dynamically agaist GPL code. And there are
> probably more rules .....

Actually, I believe that the LGPL allows for static linking as well. As
long as you only interact with the library through the defined API, it
is OK.

>From the LGPL preamble:

The precise terms and conditions for copying, distribution and
modification follow. Pay close attention to the difference between a
"work based on the library" and a "work that uses the library". The
former contains code derived from the library, whereas the latter must
be combined with the library in order to run.

Point number 5 of TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION:

5. A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the
Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or
linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a
work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and
therefore falls outside the scope of this License.

So, I would say that the LGPL _does_ allow statically linked to non GPL
work.

-- Steve