Re: Regarding posted scsi midlyaer patchsets

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 09:32:50 EST

On Tue, Apr 19 2005, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 14:34 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 18 2005, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > > And, James, regarding REQ_SOFTBARRIER, if the REQ_SOFTBARRIER thing can
> > > be removed from SCSI midlayer, do you agree to change REQ_SPECIAL to
> > > mean special requests? If so, I have three proposals.
> > >
> > > * move REQ_SOFTBARRIER setting to right after the allocation of
> > > scsi_cmnd in scsi_prep_fn(). This will be the only place where
> > > REQ_SOFTBARRIER is used in SCSI midlayer, making it less pervasive.
> > > * Or, make another API which sets REQ_SOFTBARRIER on requeue. maybe
> > > blk_requeue_ordered_request()?
> > > * Or, make blk_insert_request() not set REQ_SPECIAL on requeue. IMHO,
> > > this is a bit too subtle.
> > >
> > > I like #1 or #2. Jens, what do you think? Do you agree to remove
> > > requeue feature from blk_insert_request()?
> >
> > #2 is the best, imho. We really want to maintain ordering on requeue
> > always, marking it softbarrier automatically in the block layer means
> > the io schedulers don't have to do anything specific to handle it.
>
> This is my preference too. In general, block is the only one that
> should care what the REQ_SOFTBARRIER flag actually means. SCSI only
> cares that it submits a non mergeable request.
>
> I'm happy to separate the meaning of REQ_SPECIAL from req->special.

Isn't it just duplicate information anyways? I mean, just clear
->special if it isn't valid anymore. Having a seperate flag to indicate
this seems a little suboptimal. It made more sense when ->cmd was a
integer being READ, WRITE, etc. But as a seperate state now it doesn't.

> > I have no problem with removing the requeue stuff from
> > blk_insert_request(). That function is horribly weird as it is, it is
> > supposed to look generic but is really just a scsi special case.
>
> heh .. would this be because no other driver uses the block layer for
> requeuing ... ?

Not so much that, more that it isn't very clean. It sets rq flags,
assigns ->special, insert the request and then runs the queue. It does
way too much. Either the caller wants a requeue, so he calls
blk_requeue_request(). Or call blk_insert_request(), which should just
do what the name indicates and not a whole bunch of other stuff. Then
add a nicely named function for actually running the queue:

void blk_kick_queue_handling(request_queue_t *q)
{
if (blk_queue_plugged(q))
__generic_unplug_device(q);
else
q->request_fn(q);
}

(with a better name, I cannot come up with one just now :-)

Yep, this requires you do do the ->special assignment and the queue run
in the caller, but I rather like that compared to a function that you
have to look up in source everytime because you don't know exactly how
much it does.

--
Jens Axboe