Re: intercepting syscalls

From: Timur Tabi
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 14:21:44 EST

Terje Malmedal wrote:

Every so often there is bug in the kernel, by patching the
syscall-table I have been able to fix bugs in ioperm and fsync without
rebooting the box.

What do I do the next time I need to do something like this?

Nothing.

You have to understand that the kernel developers don't want to add support for doing things the "wrong way", even if the "wrong way" is more convenient for YOU. In the long wrong, the "wrong way" will cause more trouble than it saves.

Fixing kernels bugs without rebooting the computer is not something that the kernel developers want to support. Besides, that sounds like a ridiculous thing to do, anyway. I don't see how anyone can reasonably expect any OS to handle that.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer