Re: intercepting syscalls

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 10:02:45 EST

> Intercepting system call table is an elegant way to solve many
> problems.

I think I want to take offence to this. It's the worst possible way to
solve many problems, especially since almost everyone who did this to
get anything done until today got it wrong.

It's about locking. Portability. Stability

but also about doing things at the right layer. The syscall layer is
almost NEVER the right layer.

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do (it's not a secret I
assume, kernel modules are GPL and open source after all, esp such
invasive ones) and I'll try to tell you why it's wrong to do it at the
syscall intercept layer... deal ?

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven