Re: Fortuna

From: David Wagner
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 20:11:44 EST

>First, a reminder that the design goal of /dev/random proper is
>information-theoretic security. That is, it should be secure against
>an attacker with infinite computational power.

I am skeptical.
I have never seen any convincing evidence for this claim,
and I suspect that there are cases in which /dev/random fails
to achieve this standard.

And it seems I am not the only one. See, e.g., Section 5.3 of:
http://eprint.iacr.org/2005/029

Fortunately, it doesn't matter whether /dev/random provides
information-theoretic security. I have reasonable confidence that
it provides computational security, and that is all that applications
need.