[ANNOUNCE] Kernel Mentors Project

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 15:13:16 EST

Perhaps the hardest part of becoming a kernel developer is submitting
your first major feature. There are technical and social hurdles to
overcome and the process can be daunting to someone who is new to the
community.

Thus, I'm proposing an informal project to get experienced developers
to mentor new developers and coach them on the best ways to get their
code ready for submission.

Developers will submit a description of their project and its current
state as well as pointer to the code to the kernel-mentors mailing
list. Mentors will pick for themselves which projects and developers
they'd like to work with and offer their assistance.

The mentor will help the developer get their code accepted by:
- reviewing the code and suggesting how to improve it further
- acquainting the developer with best practices for code submission
- letting the developer know what to expect in the submission process

For their part, new developers will be expected to use the feedback
they're given productively and eventually get their code merged!

The project list is at kernel-mentors@xxxxxxxxxxx with a web interface at:

If you're interested in helping out, come join us.