Re: intercepting syscalls

From: Igor Shmukler
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 14:45:08 EST

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for replying.
It is surprising to me that linux-kernel people decided to disallow
interception of system calls.
I don't really see any upside to this.
I guess if there is no clean way to do this, we will have to resort to
quick and dirty.

Can anyone point to a discussion that yielded this decision. Perhaps,
I need to educate myself. I stumbled upon comments that this can lead
to mess, but pretty much anything in LKM can cause problems. I don't
think that hiding commonly used convenient interfaces just because
they can be abused is a valid reason, hence I would love to know what
is the real reason.

Thank you,

Igor