Re: [SATA] status reports updated

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 14:39:54 EST

Andre Tomt wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
<

[1] although my drive is blacklisted (Seagate barracuda - ST3200822AS), I "unblacklisted" it to get full performance - it's under heavy stress for 12th hour, and still no error.

It could be that your drive has newer firmware. Too bad firmware upgrades for HD's are hard to come by nowadays.

Is there a way to check what firmware a drive has (either by using some software - which would be the best option, or by reading a label on a drive)?

If so, we might compile some list to be put in the FAQ?

There was also a post on the list - http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0503.1/0827.html - suggesting that upgrading Silicon Image BIOS helped resolving these problems.

So it might be newer drive firmware, or newer SATA card BIOS (or both) that makes my "sil + seagate" combination usable.

Tomek