Re: Exploit in 2.6 kernels

From: Duncan Sands
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 11:20:47 EST

> I still don't think they would lose out by much.. I've just being
> trying to RE the ATI Mpeg2 IDCT/MC hardware, ATI know this, I know
> this, they are only wasting my time and my employers money (we still
> are going to buy their chips... no choice..) will they give out specs
> .. no .. why? cause of lawyers.. they use MPEG2 decoders for DVD
> decode and some lawyer told them this is a major secret despite the
> fact that everyone knows how to decode Mpeg2 and DVDs at this stage..
>
> same story with VIA who persist on giving out a binary only blob for
> MPEG2 hardware despite the fact that it was RE'ed over two years ago..
> the secret is out...

When I was RE the ATI IDCT stuff a few years ago, someone at ATI told
me that the problem was that the company they licensed the IDCT stuff
from wouldn't let them give out any specs. I may be remembering this
wrong since it was a long time ago...

Duncan.

PS: At some point I changed hardware, and didn't need the IDCT anymore.
I just tried to find my notes on it, but there only seems to be some
stuff about the tv tuner...