Re: [RFC/Patch 2.6.11] Take control of PCI Master Abort Mode

From: Ross Biro
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 12:26:47 EST

On 4/13/05, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If we have a situation where we screw a subset of users with the
> config option =y and a different subset with =n, how is this improving
> the situation any over what we have today ?

This is exactly the case and this is better than what we have today
because it makes it easy to chose =y or =n, so rather than making
things work for subset 1 and screwing subset 2. Each distro can chose
which subset to screw by default and make it easy for them to unscrew
themselves.

Just to be clear, we can have two users A and B with the exact same
hardware. A setting of =y will screw user A and a setting of =n will
screw user B. Ideally, they would both get better hardware, but that
is not always an option.

Ross

Ross