Re: [INFO] Kernel strict versioning

From: Franco \"Sensei\"
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 12:12:32 EST

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
Yes, but you still can't change .config. You enable SMP, your binary
compatibility is history. You _have_to_ be able to enable SMP and
_you_have_ to be able to disable it.

The following kernel packages are parts of Fedora Core 3:
kernel-2.6.9-1.667.i586.rpm
kernel-2.6.9-1.667.i686.rpm
kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667.i586.rpm
kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667.i686.rpm

That's because SMP makes a different architecture. So, let's not talk about SMP, beacuse it's not a problem.

4 of them, each with a different ABI. And this is all the same kernel
major-minor-version-subversion and the same compiler - only the settings
differ.

Of course. When upgrading to kernel-2.6.10.i586.rpm? Why should you screw up the modules you've compiled? They all belong to 2.6 series.

Being modular has nothing to do with the "problem" (except it's probably
required, but Linux _is_ modular for some time now).

It gives more freedom to change the implementation resulting in a easy mantainance. Modularity make things easy... little things that work, isn't it a unix motto? :)

Not "can". You have to. You don't want the kernel running on your dual
Athlon MP to power your old Pentium MMX test machine. The modules are
irrelevant.

Why always SMP! You are talking about porting a SPARC kernel on a 386! I'm talking about having the same binary kernel distribution for your achitecture, let's say i586, and being able to upgrade the kernel without hassles. No person on earth can imagine using a kernel for x86_64 on a i486! :)

You can have it in /boot. In fact, it's not a kernel issue.

I know, I was just wondering why kernel and modules were on different locations.

Actually, because boot can be a small partition, and may lack support
for, say, long filenames.
Actually, I put the kernels in /lib/modules/* as well. I have no /boot
file systems and I like the idea of rm -rf /lib/modules/something
deleting all files related to a particular kernel.

I always use a /boot partition. Anyway, /boot will always exist as /lib, and you can always do a rm -rf /boot/kernel/modules :)

--
Sensei <mailto:senseiwa@xxxxxx> <pgp:8998A2DB>
<icqnum:241572242>