Re: Fortuna

From: Jean-Luc Cooke
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 09:53:38 EST

Thanks for the post.

Waiting for 256bits of entropy before outputting data is a good goal. Problem
becomes how do you measure entropy in a reliable way? This had me lynched
last time I asked it so I'll stop right there.

Info-theoretic randomness is a strong desire of some/many users, and they think
the current entropy estimation technique does the trick, so I left it there
with the option to #define it out.

I'll not make any claim that random-fortuna.c should be mv'd to random.c, the
patch given allows people to kernel config it in under the Cryptographic
Options menu. Perhaps a disclaimer in the help menu would be in order to
inform users that Fortuna has profound consequences for those expecting
Info-theoretic /dev/random?

The case where an attacker has some small amount of unknown in the pool is a
problem that effects BOTH random-fortuna.c and random.c (and any other
replacement for that matter). Just an FYI.

As for the "shifting property" problem of an attacker controlling some input
to the pooling system, I've tried to get around this:

r->pools_bytes[r->pool_index] += nwords * sizeof(__u32);
crypto_digest_update(r->pools[r->pool_index], sg, 1);
if (r->pool_index == 0) {
r->pool0_len += nwords*sizeof(__u32);
}
/* idx = (idx + r) mod ( (2^N)-1 ) */
r->pool_index = (r->pool_index + r->key[keyidx])
& ((1<<random_state->pool_number)-1);
/* first 8 bytes of the key are used, 8 * 8 = 64 bits */
keyidx = (keyidx + 1) & 7;

The add_entropy_words() function uses the first 8 bytes of the central
pool to aggravate the predictability of where entropy goes. It's still a
linear progression untill the central pool is re-keyed, then you don't know
where it went. The central pool is reseeded every 0.1ms.

This causes problems of course, the hard upper bound of "we recover from
state compromise in at most a factor of 64 times the rate of entropy inflow"
is no longer non-deterministic. That is, it changes to "we expect to recover
from state compromise in a factor of 64 times the rate of entropy inflow."

Not sure if this was caught or not, but <linux@>Anyway, every 32 cycles, a seed word
is added to subpool 0, which is then immediately added to the main pool</linux@>.
Entirely true however, every time other than the first seeding other pools
will be adding words to the main pool as well.

Cheers,

JLC