Re: [RFC] FUSE permission modell (Was: fuse review bits)

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 14:20:03 EST

> > > Yet, the results from stat() don't distinguish the number spaces,
> > > and "ls" doesn't map the numbers to names properly in the wrong
> > > space.
> >
> > Well you can use "ls -n". It's up to the tools to present the
> > information you want in the way you want it. If a tool can't do that,
> > tough, but you are not worse off than if the information is not
> > available _at_all_.
>
> Well, how do you currently provide access to the information that's
> not presentable through stat()?

Obviously I don't. However that's hardly an argument for providing
even less information.

And stat() btw pretty much covers what information there is to present
for network filesystems and archives, since there _is_ a real
filesystem where the information originated from (though sometimes
it's not a UNIX type of filesystem, in which case there has to be some
mapping of the info).

Miklos