Re: EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL for __symbol_get replacing EXPORT_SYMBOL for deprecated inter_module_get

From: Sean
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 11:15:06 EST

On Wed, April 13, 2005 11:57 am, Richard B. Johnson said:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 06:55:00PM +0930, Yuri Vilmanis wrote:
>>
>> > The case in point for me is ATI's binary openGL accelerated drivers
>> (fglrx) -
>> > these used inter_module_get() to communicate with the agp gart module,
>> for
>> > obvious reasons - this AGP communication is essential to the
>> functionality of
>> > the driver. No, I don't like ATI only having closed-source drivers any
>> more
>> > than you, but given the extremely competetive nature of high end video
>> card
>> > sales, I can see why they want to do it this way.
>> > Am I take it to mean that no closed-source / binary-only driver may
>> use AGP
>> > acceleration in the future, including ones that have in the past?
>>
>> They can use the in-kernel GART driver just fine. Of course, they choose
>> to take a bastardised version from some ancient tree, mangle it to
>> all hell, strip off the GPL MODULE_VERSION, and weld it to their
>> own driver, but that's their decision. Which is btw, whats partly
>> causing your problem. (They still would've needed to change some
>> code, but the AGP side of the fence would be taken care of).
>>
>> Dave
>
> As a practical matter, one can make or modify the source-code
> of a driver to use any symbols available in System.map. One
> can even make a "preloader" program that gets the right stuff
> for the correct kernel, puts it into the module, then has
> the standard module loader load it.
>
> There is way too much effort being applied to hiding kernel
> symbols. As long as you have the tools available to build
> a kernel, you have the tools available to use any symbol.
>
> Here is the kernel offset of 'sys_call_table' and 'sys_ni_syscall'
>
> TABLE := $(shell grep sys_call_table /boot/System.map | cut -f1 -d' ')
> NISYS := $(shell grep sys_ni_syscall /boot/System.map | cut -f1 -d' ')
> DEFS = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DMAJOR_NR=$(MAJR) -DCONFIG_SMP
> DEFS += -DMODNAME=$(NAME) -DTABLE=0x$(TABLE) -DNISYS=0x$(NISYS)
>
> You just initialize your module pointers to these values and
> you have access to these objects. Simple.
>
> Although I haven't tried it, I think one can even borrow a
> __mod_licensexxx by using /proc/kallsyms. The point being that
> trying to prevent one from using existing kernel code in
> kernel modules will, eventually, fail completely unless we
> only get binaries with no source-code. Even in that case,
> many symbols within /proc/kallsyms are useful.

Yeah yeah.. yet another brilliant idea from the peanut gallery. GPL_
symbols aren't meant to be some amazing protection from criminals that
don't care about licenses. Hell, people pirate none GPL software too.
The symbols are meant to help HONEST people comply with the license.

Please for gods sake, shut up.
Sean