Re: [RFC] FUSE permission modell (Was: fuse review bits)

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 04:16:01 EST

> > There are uses for both. For example today I was updating the tar ball
> > which is used to create the var file system for a new chroot. I certainly
> > want to see corretly setup owner/permissions when I look into that tar
> > ball using a FUSE fs...
>
> If I'm updating a var filesystem for a new chroot, I'd need the
> ability to chmod and chown things in that filesystem. Does that work
> as an ordinary user?

Yes, within UML for example.

I have a little project to imlement a "userloop" filesystem, which
works just like "mount -o loop", but you don't need root privs. This
is really simple to do with FUSE and UML.

I don't think that it's far feched, that in certain situations the
user _does_ have the right (and usefulness) to do otherwise privileged
filesystem operations.

Miklos