Re: Re: more git updates..

From: Panagiotis Issaris
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 18:56:53 EST

Hi David,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:36:23PM -0400, David Eger wrote:
> > No. A tree is not the full data. A tree contains enough information
> > _recreate_ the full data, but the tree itself just tells you _how_
> > to do
> > that. It doesn't contain very much of the data itself at all.
>
> Perhaps I'd understand this if you tell me what "recreate" means.
> If a have a SHA1 hash of a file, and I have the file, I can verify
> that said
> file has the SHA1 hash it's supposed to have, but I can't generate the
> file
> from it's hash...

But, but if you have that hexified SHA1 hash of a particular file you
want to access, there would be a file with a filename equal to that
hexified SHA1 hash which contained the compressed contents of the file
you're looking for.

At least, that's how I understood it...

With friendly regards,
Takis

--
OpenPGP key: http://lumumba.luc.ac.be/takis/takis_public_key.txt
fingerprint: 6571 13A3 33D9 3726 F728 AA98 F643 B12E ECF3 E029