NFS2 question, help, pls!

From: Xin Zhao
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 17:14:37 EST

I have very very fast network and is testing NFS2 over this kind of
network. I noticed that for standard work like read/write a large
file, compile kernels, the performance of NFS2 is good. But if I try
to decompress kernel tar file. The standard ext2 takes 28s while NFS2
takes 81s. Also, if I remove the kernel source code tree, ext2 takes
19s but NFS2 takes 44s.

Why? (You can assume that network is very fast. ) Is there any
improvements in NFS3/4 on this issue? If so, how?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help!

xin