Re: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-pasky-0.1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 20:10:56 EST

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Petr Baudis wrote:

> Dear diary, on Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:38:11PM CEST, I got a letter
> where Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> told me that...
> ..snip..
> > Can you pull my current repo, which has "diff-tree -R" that does what the
> > name suggests, and which should be faster than the 0.48 sec you see..
>
> Am I just missing something, or your diff-tree doesn't handle
> added/removed directories?

You're not missing anything, I did it that way on purpose. I thought it
would be easier to do the expansion in the caller (who knows what it is
they want to do with the end result).

But now that I look at merging, I realize that was actually the wrong
thing to do. A merge algorithm definitely wants to see the expanded tree,
since it will compare/join several of the diff-tree output things.

So I'll either fix it or decide to just go with your version instead. I'm
not overly proud.

Linus