Re: 'BUG: scheduling with irqs disabled' when umounting NFS volume

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 23:46:54 EST

* Daniel Walker <dwalker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I submitted a fix for this a while ago, I think ..
> interruptible_sleep_on()'s are broken ..

sleep_on() is a fundamentally broken interface, it only works on UP -
but there it _does_ rely on the behavior your patch removes. (i.e.
disabled interrupts until we hit schedule())

the PREEMPT_RT kernel makes the limitations of sleep_on() even more
apparent. The patch only removes the warning, it doesnt remove the race.
To remove the race, sleep_on() usage should be converted to something
else. (e.g. one of the wait_event() variants)

Ingo