Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 22:17:02 EST

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:08:58PM -0400, Brian Gerst wrote:
> It's my understanding that the files don't change. Only new ones are
> created for each revision.

I said diff between the trees, not diff between files ;). When you fetch
the new changes with rsync, it'll compress better and in turn it'll be
faster (assuming we're network bound and I am with 1mbit and 2.5ghz
cpu), if it's rsync applying gzip to the big "combined diff between
trees" instead of us compressing every single small file on disk, that
won't compress anymore inside rsync.