Re: LIBATA AHCI engine timeout hang with ATAPI devices

From: Eric A. Cottrell
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 18:12:24 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
You need something like the attached patch.

In general, ATAPI is still very much experimental at this point. One known bug that affects libata is that ATAPI DMA is not aligned to a 4-byte boundary.

Hello,

Thanks.

I already have that patch applied. I will poke around the code over the weekend and see if I can figure out the problem.
I am alittle rusty as my last disk driver code was modifying Heathkit CPM BIOS to support a SMS SASI board for 8 inch floppies and Shugart SA1000 series hard drives!

I would like to help get ATAPI to work as I suspect more SATA ATAPI stuff will appear as motherboards use SATA. It appears that the ahci/libata code is missing some needed steps that the ata_piix/libata code does. Looking at the code and patches I can see that libata had to change to permit the hardware to perform tasks that libata did.

Thank you for your web page on IDE drives. I downloaded alot of specs and even read a small bit of them.

73 Eric eac@xxxxxxxxx