Re: PATCH add support for system on chip (SoC) devices.

From: Kumar Gala
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 10:23:03 EST

On Apr 8, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Ian Molton wrote:

Hi.

This patch add support for a new 'System on Chip' or SoC bus type.

This allows common drivers used in different SoC devices to be shared in
a clean and healthy manner, for example, the MMC function on toshiba
t7l66xb, tc6393xb, and Compaq IPAQ ASIC3.

This is in common use in the handhelds.org CVS tree.

The only real issue is that drivers using this currently tend to assume
that the SoC is attached to a platfrom_bus. This can be resolved as and
when it becomes an issue for people.

What is wrong with using platform_device for this? We have been doing that on PPC for SoCs for a few months now and I'm pretty sure ARM has been doing this even longer.

- kumar