Re: RFC: turn kmalloc+memset(,0,) into kcalloc

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 08:15:29 EST

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 01:38:22PM +0100, Paulo Marques wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 05:26:31PM +0100, Paulo Marques wrote:
>
> Hi Adrian,

Hi Paolo,

> >>[...]
> >>pros:
> >> - smaller kernel image size
> >> - smaller (and more readable) source code
> >
> >Which is better readable depends on what you are used to.
>
> That's true to some degree, but look at code like this (in
> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c):
>
> > if (!(field = kmalloc(sizeof(struct hid_field) + usages *
> > sizeof(struct hid_usage)
> > + values * sizeof(unsigned), GFP_KERNEL))) return NULL;
> >
> > memset(field, 0, sizeof(struct hid_field) + usages * sizeof(struct
> > hid_usage)
> > + values * sizeof(unsigned));
>
> and compare to this:
>
> > field = kzalloc(sizeof(struct hid_field) + usages * sizeof(struct
> > hid_usage)
> > + values * sizeof(unsigned), GFP_KERNEL);
> > if (!field)
> > return NULL;
>
> In the first case you have to read carefully to make sure that the size
> argument in both the kmalloc and the memset are the same. Even more, if
> the size needs to be updated to include something more, a mistake can be
> made by inserting the extra size just in the kmalloc call. Also, you are
> assuming that the compiler is smart enough to notice that the two
> expressions are the same and cache the result, but this is probably true
> for gcc, anyway.
>
> I think most will agree that the second piece of code is more "readable".

In this case yes (but it could still use the normal kcalloc).

> >There are tasks of higher value that can be done.
>
> I couldn't agree more :)
>
> >E.g. read my "Stack usage tasks" email. The benefits would only be
> >present for people using GNU gcc 3.4 or SuSE gcc 3.3 on i386, but this
> >is a reasonable subset of the kernel users - and it brings them a
> >2% kernel size improvement.
>
> I've read that thread, but it seems that it is at a dead end right now,
> since we don't have a good tool to find out which functions are abusing
> the stack with unit-at-a-time.
>
> Is there some way to even limit the search, like using a stack usage log
> from a compilation without unit-at-a-time, and going over the hotspots
> to check for problems?
>
> If we can get a list, even if it contains a lot of false positives, I
> would more than happy to help out...

Joerg's list of recursions should be valid independent of the kernel
version. Fixing any real stack problems [1] that might be in this list
is a valuable task.

And "make checkstack" in a kernel compiled with unit-at-a-time lists
several possible problems at the top.

> Paulo Marques

cu
Adrian

[1] there are cases in this list that aren't a problem e.g. because of
an obviously limited recursion

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed