RE: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels

From: Kevin Puetz
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 20:41:44 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
>>
>> Paul, you definitely want to check this out on your large numa box. I
>> booted a kernel with this patch on a 32-way numa box and it took a long
>> .... time to produce the cost matrix.
>
> Is there anything fundamentally wrong with the notion of just initializing
> the cost matrix to something that isn't completely wrong at bootup, and
> just lettign user space fill it in?

Wouldn't getting rescheduled (and thus having another program trash the
cache on you) really mess up the data collection though? I suppose by
spawning off threads, each with a fixed affinity and SCHED_FIFO one could
hang onto the CPU to collect the data. But then it's not (a lot) different
than doing it in-kernel.

> Then you couple that with a program that can do so automatically (ie
> move the in-kernel heuristics into user-land), and something that can
> re-load it on demand.

This part seems sensible though :-)