Re: klists and struct device semaphores

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 14:12:26 EST

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:26:36 -0800 (PST), Patrick Mochel
<mochel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't understand what you mean. Even if a device is suspended, be it
> automatically after some amount of inactivity or as directed explicitly by
> a user, we want to be able to open the device and have it work.
>
> Conversely, we only want to automatically suspend the device, or allow the
> device to be explicitly put to sleep, if the device is not being used.

Well, the disagreement in definition of "being used". Quite often you
have a device "open" for extended period of time (inactive ext2
partition is mounted on a disk) but device is not really active. You
could power it down and only wake up when there is a read or write
request.

It looks like "open" and "close" are terms better suited for class
devices while power management is applied to the "real" devices.

--
Dmitry