Re: RFC: 2.6.release.patchlevel: Patch against 2.6.release[.0] ?

From: L. A. Walsh
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 21:23:07 EST

Chris Wright wrote:
The patches on kernel.org in v2.6/ are already against the base (i.e.
patch-2.6.11.6.bz2 is against 2.6.11). The patches in v2.6/incr/
are incremental between -stable releases (i.e. patch-2.6.11.5-6.bz2 is
against 2.6.11.5).
----
I see. I had looked at the "Changelog" page on the www.kernel.org home
page and only saw changes from 2.6.11.5->2.6.11.6 documented. I thought that the Changelog documented the changes that were in the patch.

Maybe Changlog's that only document the current increment should be in the "incr" directory as well and be named "Changelog-2.6.11.5-6" (for the current change log, while a cumulative change log from the base version should
be kept in the v2.6 dir?

I think having the Changelog link on the main page only documenting
the latest "incr", but having the patch containing everything from the base is
confusing. Am I the only one who might expect the Changelog to document what is
in the given increment, but the associated patch includes everything since the base?

It's a "nit", I know, but I prefer having the change-log and patch to match w/respect to content.

Linda