Re: Do not misuse Coverity please

From: Patrick McFarland
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 21:03:57 EST

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 01:55 pm, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> Actually it is. Dereferencing a null pointer is either undefined or
> implementation-dependant in the standard (don't remember which), and
> as such the compiler can do whatever it wants, be it starting nethack

Can this be configured to start slashem instead? ;)

> or not doing the dereference in the first place.

What scares me is, "Is there any code in the kernel that does this, or
something similarly stupid?". I regard the linux kernel as mostly sane, and
I'd rather not have that illusion of safety broken* any time soon. Sure, its
great for an app to randomly segfault, but having the kernel oops randomly is
not much fun.

To quote a sig I once saw on usenet: "Why Linux is better than Windows, Reason
#325: No needing to reboot every 15 seconds; or every 3 seconds during full
moons."

* I am by no means an expert on kernel programing

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || pmcfarland@xxxxxxxxxxxx