Re: Aligning file system data

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 00:39:00 EST

In article <424A2BD0.5010609@xxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> How likely is it that I can actually align stuff to 31.5KiB on the
> physical disk, i.e. have each block be a track?

It is not that easy to allign on tracks, even on raw partition. Some disks
have different length of tracks (of course because the inner cylinders are
shorter), some show a totally different geometry than they have internally,
and the disks are happyly remapping.

With raid and lvm the situation get worse.

Why do you want to do thoe micro optimizations?

With a filesystem in between you have virtuelly no way to allign larger
files for streaming.

Let the buffer cache and prefetch do, what they are intended for and feel
happy.

Greetings
Bernd