Re: swsusp 'disk' fails in bk-current - intel_agp at fault?

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 15:55:36 EST

Hi!

> > > Well, there lies a problem - some devices have to do execve because
> > > they need firmware to operate. Also, again, some buses with
> > > hot-pluggable devices will attempt to clean up unsuccessful resume and
> > > this will cause hotplug events. The point is you either resume system
> > > or you don't. We probably need a separate "unfreeze" callback,
> > > although this is kind of messy.
> >
> > There's a better solution for firmware: You should load your firmware
> > prior to suspend and store it in RAM. Anything else just plain does
> > not work. (Because your wireless firmware might be on NFS mounted over
> > that wireless card).
> >
> > Hotplug... I guess udev just needs to hold that callbacks before
> > system is fully up... it has to do something similar on regular boot,
> > no?
>
> Well, I did not really look into udev but hotplug (which can iteract
> with udev) does not keep anything. If it fails its ok - that's why
> there are coldplug scripts that "recover" lost events. But here we
> block trying to start hotplug - we not getting an error - and this is
> bad. Unfortunately I am not familiar with block devices working to say
> why it hangs.
>
> Should we pull Jens into the discussion?

I don't really want us to try execve during resume... Could we simply
artifically fail that execve with something if (in_suspend()) return
-EINVAL; [except that in_suspend() just is not there, but there were
some proposals to add it].

Or just avoid calling hotplug at all in resume case? And then do
coldplug-like scan when userspace is ready...

But we perhaps should cc linux-pm list.
Pavel