Re: swsusp 'disk' fails in bk-current - intel_agp at fault?

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 14:35:50 EST

Hi!

> > > If you look at Andy's second trace you will see that we are waiting
> > > for the disk I/O to get /sbin/hotplug from the disk. Pavel, do you
> > > know why IO does not complete? khelper is a kernel thread so it is
> > > marked with
> > > PF_NOFREEZE. Could it be that we managed to freeze kblockd?
> >
> > Uf, no idea about kblockd freezing -- we certainly should not.
> >
> > *But*, if we are doing execve while system is frozen, something is
> > very wrong. We should not be doing execve in the first place.
>
> Well, there lies a problem - some devices have to do execve because
> they need firmware to operate. Also, again, some buses with
> hot-pluggable devices will attempt to clean up unsuccessful resume and
> this will cause hotplug events. The point is you either resume system
> or you don't. We probably need a separate "unfreeze" callback,
> although this is kind of messy.

There's a better solution for firmware: You should load your firmware
prior to suspend and store it in RAM. Anything else just plain does
not work. (Because your wireless firmware might be on NFS mounted over
that wireless card).

Hotplug... I guess udev just needs to hold that callbacks before
system is fully up... it has to do something similar on regular boot,
no?
Pavel