Re: [patch] optimization: defer bio_vec deallocation

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 04:19:53 EST

"Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 06:38:23PM -0800, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> > We have measured that the following patch give measurable performance gain
> > for industry standard db benchmark. Comments?
>
> Dave Jones wrote on Monday, March 28, 2005 7:00 PM
> > If you can't publish results from that certain benchmark due its stupid
> > restrictions, could you also try running an alternative benchmark that
> > you can show results from ?
> >
> > These nebulous claims of 'measurable gains' could mean anything.
> > I'm assuming you see a substantial increase in throughput, but
> > how much is it worth in exchange for complicating the code?
>
> Are you asking for micro-benchmark result?

There are a number of test tools floating about. reaim, orasim, osdb, others.

A number of them are fairly crufty and toy-like, but still more useful than
microbenchmarks, and they permit others to evaluate patches and to perform
further optimisation.

It's in everyone's interest that we get away from a test which has such
dopey restrictions.